Sunday 17 August 2008

Sallisaw, Oklahoma to Memphis, Tennessee

THESE southern towns are a revelation. Little Rock, Arkansas is lovely.

We had our lunch by the river and had a spirited discussion about racism - why are "scot" and "pole" acceptable, when "paki" isn't? Use the comment feature to tell me.

I resisted the temptation to buy a "I miss Bill" t-shirt in honour of my father-in-law, but there was a load of Bill Clinton nonsense on the back that saved my money. Charlotte was entertained by the Bill and Hillary paper dolls book (left).

These long days on the road are starting to change our behavior. We are being very nice to each other and this afternoon we started playing games for the first time: guess the celeb/politicial/historical figure from the initials and 20 yes/no questions. We also named 56 of the 54 states in America.

More cops on the road in Arkansas than any state so far.

I was absolutely stunned by Memphis. I know it's the home of the blues and the birthplace of rock'n'roll but I wasn't ready for Beale Street. It's fabulous, vibrant, energetic, amazing. Every bar has a live blues band playing and every sidewalk space between each bar has another. I loved it.

Unfortunately, the hotel in Memphis took the shine off the experience. But we do realise that motels in big cities are frequented by younger people, poorer people and foreign people. This isn't always conducive to a good night's sleep and since we fall into at least two of those categories, maybe we shouldn't complain.

Sallisaw to Memphis = 323 miles.

No comments: