Sunday 17 August 2008

Memphis, Tennessee to Knoxville, Tennessee

IT'S Sunday and the roads are noticably quieter. There are still a few big trucks, but not as many as I've got used to. These people seem to observe the day of rest.

The radio is getting frustrating. I can find religious radio stations and country music stations and plenty of religious country music stations. Thank God for Word magazine CDs and Speechification podcasts on my iPod and NPR.

There are at least three churches for every gas station and supermarket.

Nashville is prettier (or should that be 'purdier'?) than I remember, but deserted. We take lunch at an Applebee's and watch the men's 100,000m final at the Olympics. American TV's coverage is interesting. Every evening NBC shows 'live' events that happened hours ago and only ever features the disciplines the US is expecting to do well in. Nothing else matters and if the US gets a bronze medal they might just mention the winner of the silver in passing, otherwise it's about the winner and the American.

I get annoyed and then remind myself where I am and ask what right I have to judge.

Memphis to Knoxville = 387 miles.

No comments: